Laser hair removal has been a growing trend in the past few years, and we can totally see why. Many of us actively fantasize about a stubble-free life, especially in those areas more sensitive to criticism. Though it’s tempting to plot your chin or back hair’s demise, we encourage you to pump those breaks first. While the staff here at Aura MedSpa would love to make those less-hairy life dreams come true, we want you to make an informed decision, no matter the procedure. It may seem like laser hair removal is a magic wand, but there is so much more you should know about it.
What to Expect
Before the treatment, your provider will explain what you will need to do up to four weeks prior to go time. That includes avoiding limiting sun exposure before and after, avoiding certain medications, and skincare products.
The treatment area is trimmed to a few millimeters, and a topical numbing medicine is applied about 20-30 minutes prior. The laser is adjusted according to the thickness, color, location, and skin color of the treatment area. The laser device is handheld, and it seeks out the dark color of the hair and destroys the hair follicle.
Positives and Potential Negatives
Laser hair removal can virtually remove unwanted hair on most parts of the body. Not every area should be treated (eyes and surrounding areas), and some patients may be better candidates over others. Here are some real positives and negatives about laser hair removal:
- Little to no growth is needed for hair treatments.
- Depending on the treatment area, it is a reasonably quick process.
- Helps with ingrown hairs.
- Reduction in the amount of hairs. Yay!
- Results are not instantaneous. Typically, hairs begin to fall out in the days and weeks following the procedure.
- Repeated treatments are likely due to the cycle of hair growth.
- Results are seen better in those with contrasting skin tone and hair color. Someone with a lighter skin tone and dark hair may see better results than those with darker skin tones or lighter hair. Different laser options have been developed for this reason, so talk with your provider about the right path for you.
Now that you have some knowledge about laser hair removal let Aura MedSpa take care of the rest. Our friendly, knowledgeable staff is ready to answer any additional questions and help you make the best decision for you. To set up your consultation appointment, call (813) 960-2400, or complete our online request form.